Friday, July 21, 2006

Astorga

Astorga ended up being a great town for a rest day. A chocolate museum, a Gaudi house that hosts a Camino museum, and a tour of the Roman ruins were all available. I skipped the first but took in the other two. The Gaudi building was the second we have seen on the Camino, but this one was certainly more interesting than the other two. But by all accounts, his best stuff is still in Barcelona. Besides a collection of Camino artifacts and Roman ruins, the museum also featured an impressive gallery of contempory Spanish art, mostly from the last 20 years. After Gaudi, the group went on a tour of the Roman ruins. The highlight was definitely the walk through the sewer system. The tunnel was only about 5 1/2 feet tall and 3 feet wide. Definitely worth the 3 euro.

Afterwards we headed for a bar and had an official Camino meeting. Everyone discussed things that could be done better, both on an individual and group level. I left feeling that we had really made some progress, and the Camino is only going to get better.

We have had a stomach virus hit some of the members, but only it seems to be a 24 hour thing. I pray that everyone remains healthy for the rest of the Camino. Only 10 more days of hiking!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I imagine that you will have mixed feelings as you approach Santiago as this has been an amazing adventure. I know these last ten days will go very quickly. I pray the virus is soon over for those unfortunate enough to get it. We continue to be grateful for the blog and the news that comes to us!! Keep well!! Paul's Mom

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I imagine that you will have mixed feelings as you approach Santiago as this has been an amazing adventure. I know these last ten days will go very quickly. I pray the virus is soon over for those unfortunate enough to get it. We continue to be grateful for the blog and the news that comes to us!! Keep well!! Paul's Mom

5:31 PM  
Anonymous hollysMOM said...

HollysMOM, Hope this blog actually gets published. I've tried for weeks and now the time is short. Just wanted to say I love reading the blogs and seeing it through eyes on a day to day basis. A big THANK-YOU to Andy and Annie for all they do for you guys ! I'm sure the the phrase "carpe diem" has alot of meaning tor all of you as you continue on your journey as you can never underestimate the "Camino"! Hats off to all of you for preserverance often in periods of adversity. I admire your tenancity and your spirit of adventure will truly carry you through to SANTIAGO!!!!

7:18 PM  
Anonymous RON said...

Maybe you have immunity from the virus, due to your episode on the plane to Germany. Hope you stay well. It's interesting to read of your adventures, and I'm sure the best is yet to come -- especially the celebration at the end and the awareness of all the camino experiences. I really appreciate the map and photos that Andy got someone to do. I think of you every day as I have my version of cafe con leche (Mine is probably a poor substitute). You are doing a fantastic thing, and I can hardly wait to hear more.
Peace,
Ron

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

5:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home